Saturday 20 July 2013

Summer baking ideas

Since the summer holidays have started, and the sun has finally come out I thought I would share my top ten favourite things to bake in summer. For me summer is as much about delicious cakes and other treats as it is about the lazy days lying in the sun with a book or magazine. Baking in the summer almost always has to involve fruity, fresh flavours or something that can be used for a relaxing afternoon tea in the garden.

1. This is my absolute favourite cheesecake, strawberries and cream cheesecake. It is such a delicious, fruity treat. Perfect for summer! The recipe I have gone back to again and again is the one from Cake Days by the humming bird bakery. I love this book, it has almost every recipe imaginable, but this one is my favourite by far!

2. Earl grey cupcakes are a little different, but really tasty. It is something that really caught my attention and I couldn't wait to try. I didn't know what the result would be, but I was very pleased with the generous outcome. I also found this recipe in Cake Days book, but you can easily find others on the internet as well.

3. My third favourite is Peach and Raspberry tart. This is such a great tart that is could have as easily come from heaven as it could from your kitchen. It is so great to have as a mid-morning snack, an addition to your afternoon tea or the product of cheeky midnight kitchen-raid.

4. Another great bake for summer are lemonade cupcakes. They are so delicious and exactly what you need on a warm summers day. They aren't just the bog-standard lemon sponge, but something quite different in many ways and that is what I absolutly love about them. 

5. I also love raspberry trifle cupcakes, which is a recipe that I first discovered in a book from the supermarket, but humming bird bakery also do an amazing recipe, which I have since used to adapt the original recipe I found. They are so tasty and an amazing suprise when you discover the sweet blob of sticky raspberry jam in the middle of the cupcake. Yum!


6. Strawberry layer cake is another summer favourite of mine and really simple to make. This recipe from the Primrose Bakery book which I have written about along with the actual bakery in an earlier blog post. It is such a great cake one for after lunch or along wth a cup of tea and such a great way to enjoy the summer.

7. I love the blueberry crumble loaf again from Cake Days, and although I have only made it once before, I fell in love with it instantly and can't wait to make it again. The sponge is not dry which can sometimes happen with a crumble sponge, and it is not too sweet either. Such a great flavour, and really easy to do.

8. This next one is a classic, but never fails to please, the Victoria sponge. It is always so delicious, so moist and soft and tastes great with anything. I always like to put thin slices of strawberries through the middle as well as fresh cream and jam. I think it justs adds a fresher, fruitier flavour and another dimension. A Victoria sponge, is so simple to make, yet something that is almost impossible not to love.


9. This one is another classic, the lemon drizzle. I think it is always so delicious and I absolutely love the flavour and smell of lemon. It tastes so good in a cake, and is never hard to pull off. Another great thing is that it looks better messy than it does neat as there is something so delicious about it being so homemade, knowing it has come form your own kitchen. Something that you have baked yourself always tastes so much better than something you have bought from a supermarket.

10. My final one is fruit scones and is something that, in my opinion, is not a proper summer without. It just makes your summer to have a scone with jam and clotted cream and a pot of tea. Somethings, no matter how fancy or delicate, just can't beat a perfect cream tea.

So that's everything, I hope that you liked this blog post and even if you didn't do much baking before, maybe this will inspire you to start. I love it, so hopefully you will/do too. A perfect summer has perfect food.
<3 Ellen







No comments:

Post a Comment